公子倾城 Gong Zi Qing Cheng by 维和粽子 Wei He Zong Zi
- Lin Chi (林池) – Female Lead, she’s an orphan girl who is trying to find out who killed her whole family. During an escape attempt she goes the wrong direction and accidentally boards the ML’s cart instead of the one her Master organised. She is someone who the ML can “feel”. She has a very calm/kind hearted/naive but at the same time mature nature to her. She loves to eat and when asked what she likes by the ML (who’s trying to please her) she says she likes to eat so the ML goes and learns to cook for her. For the first part of the book she does not like the ML because she thinks he forces her to stay, and forces himself upon her. But later on she realises she misses him and his unique way of making her feel protected/loved/cherished. When she “finds out” that the ML could be her family’s killer, she goes and “kills him” and commits suicide. She was saved by Suo Tong who then tells her of his background and tries to make her join him. But she becomes very dispirited and tries to starve herself to death. She perks back up when she finds out that the ML didn’t actually die and that Suo Tong is actually her family’s killer. She then helps the royal family by trying to get info to them about Suo Tong’s plans.
- Mo Qing Chen (陌輕塵) – Male Lead, 1st prince who was born with no sense of “feelings” – cannot feel pain. Has white/silver hair and is extremely powerful in martial arts. Because of his unusual-ness, even though he is the eldest prince and loved by his family he was not the crown prince (nor does he want to be). Instead he goes out and becomes a strong/feared JiangHu person. By coincidence he meets the FL and because he can “feel” her decides to keep her around. At first he keeps the FL around because according to him, he likes to see her (in)pain. With her around, he can “feel”. But eventually he learns to love and care for her and tries his best to please her so that she would stay. The FL is not the first nor last person he could “feel”. The previous woman he could feel was his junior sister whom he indirectly caused the death of – she planed a murder/suicide of them both after he killed her lover.
- Qiu Wan (裘宛) – Female Lead’s senior sister. Very pretty and often uses her beauty to her advantage. She’s had a bad pass with her father treating her mother badly so highly distrust men. Loves and cares for Lin Chi a lot. She has a back and forth relationship with the ML’s cousin who loves her but has a marriage arrangement with another girl which he has to fulfill because it was bestowed upon him by the emperor. Because of this Qiu Wan leaves him. In the end the fiance’s family was involved in a coup-to-be so the cousin manages to get out of the marriage arrangement. Furthermore, the cousin manages to get a marriage bestowed between him and Qiu Wan because he told the emperor Qiu Wan gave him the coup info. She tries to run away from him after he tells her. XD
- Du Ruo (杜若) – the FL’s first love. She sneaks around and watches him work. He writes letters in code and addresses it to a “fiance” like person. FL thinks that he has a fiance he loves so she kind of “gives up” on him. In the end he actually doesn’t have a fiance and also likes the FL. But by the time he gets the chance to confess the FL already starts liking the ML.
- Suo Tong (索瞳) – someone the FL saves. He acts as a bodyguard for the FL most of the time. But in actual fact he was the prince of the previous kingdom. He was very jealous of the ML, for being a prince and gaining the FL’s love. So he tried to plan a coup/revolution. But the plan was ultimately failed. He was the one who actually killed (or lead to her parents death) her parents. But he tried to frame the ML. Loves the FL and wants her to be his. He regrets it at the end – regrets not meeting the FL before he killed her family, regrets not stopping the FL from meeting the ML.
So when I first started listening to this, I quite enjoyed the audiobook. Multiple voices and I liked the characters and the setting of the book. HOWEVER it got a little to melodramatic for me. I stopped twice probably around half way through the book and listened to some other books before finally getting around to finish this.
It wasn’t a bad book, however I didn’t liked the dragging on of all relationships in the book. And of course throw in the plotline of where the ML did/did not kill her family where you can see it coming from miles away.
I do however like the interactions and the comedy relief the side characters provided XD Notably there’s this part when the doctor lady was feeling restless, thinking that they need to let the ML and FL sleep together so that the FL wont choose Suo Tong. She tells the guard, we need to kidnap her and place her in the ML’s bed so that “raw rice will be cooked” and the guard replies “already cooked, 2 years ago” XD! Her reply was “oO! Cook again then!”.