梦回大清 A Dream Back to the Qing Dynasty by 金子 Jin Zi
- Xiao Wei/ Lady Zhaogiya – Female lead, modern girl transmigrated(?) into a noblemen’s daughter (same face). She was sent into the palace as a xiunü where she ends up meeting 13 who wanted her to become his. 13 asks 4 to help convince Consort De (4th and 14th’s mother) to take her in as a higher up servant girl. 4th meets Xiao Wei and also comes to like her. She wavers for a bit between the two princes and eventually chooses 13 as she knows that 4th will ultimately put (his brother and) the throne first.
- Yinxiang, Prince Yi (Thirteen) – Meets Xiao Wei when she was relaxing by the water. Becomes instantly attracted to her personality. He marries her and only her in this story (first as a ce fujin and then as de fujin). Xiao Wei sacrifices herself and takes on blame for something 8, 9, 10 and 14 frames 13 for. She was given “poison” and killed by KangXi. She was saved by 4th (under KangXi’s permission) but 13 never found out until 3years(?) later. She leaves him with letters telling him to live on. When the crown prince was finally stripped of his title, 13 was dragged into the mess and imprisoned. Xiao Wei then reunites with him and stays with him during his imprisonment period. When he was released she was then given a new identity and was allowed to be married to 13 again as the primary wife. They eventually have a daughter together.
- Yinzhen, Prince Yong (Fourth) – Meets Xiao Wei after 13. Becomes attracted to her and basically tells her “what 13 has I will also have”. Pursues her and help/save her in many situations. He has many wives already, whom all becomes jealous of Xiao Wei because of the attention he pays her (he is known to not put much effort in women except when it comes to her). Xiao Wei befriends a few, especially the mother of the next emperor. Hongli becomes close with Xiao Wei and 13’s daughter. In his epilogue it is revealed that he has done a lot more for her than what was shown in the main part of the book.
- Yunti, Prince Xun (Fourteen) – Meets Xiao Wei and eventually becomes attracted to her. He knows at the beginning she has a thing between 13 and 4. He becomes jealous that she doesn’t like him that way. He indirectly causes her “death” the first time. She tells him if he is willing to commit the crime then he should own up to it – don’t regret it. And tells him she doesn’t want to ever see him again. He regrets it a lot. After she “dies” he marries her sister (who looks like her). In his epilogue it reveals that he once told Consort De that he likes Xiao Wei. Consort De actually knows of this but because she doesn’t want her two sons (4 and 14) to fight over a girl she decided to give Xiao Wei to 13 – she did “ask” Xiao Wei who she would choose and basically if she answered any of her two sons, she would have gotten rid of Xiao Wei.
- Yunsi (Eighth) – At the beginning asks for her to become one of his ce fujin. You don’t really get much insight on 8th until his epilogue where it reveals that he was also very attracted to Xiao Wei. The first “look” she gives him, free of any judgment stays with him for a long time. What he finds most attractive about her is that no matter what happens she still keeps her original personality and doesn’t put on a “fake face” (which he has to do because of his status/position). In the middle of the book when Xiao Wei marries 13, 8 “gives up”, knowing that he tried (unlike 4) and he started treating his primary wife good. But then he finds out that his primary wife’s personality is also fake and actually looks down on him. Comparing the two, he eventually becomes more and more attracted/in love with Xiao Wei and like 14 gets jealous of 13 and 4 but his attraction is hidden deeper than any other.
- Yun’e (Tenth) – Has a competitive (love/hate) relationship with her. They always butt heads. It’s revealed in the 8th’s epilogue that 10th always talks about Xiao Wei and has called her “unique” (only one and no other) before.
- Yuntang (Ninth) – Part of the “8th lord faction”. Is involved in or starts schemes to make 8th/14th the next emperor.
Similar to BuBuJingXin however the princes fighting over the FL this time is 13 and 4th. 13 wins this time – which I guess is the smarter way to go for the FL however I do feel that 4th does more for her. But 13 is loyal to her – he doesn’t have any other women except her and even when she couldn’t get pregnant for so many years plus she “dies” he still didn’t give in to pressure to take other wives.
A much more lighter novel in every way compared to BuBuJingXin. The FL manages to be at the wrong places at the right time quite a few times which ends up helping her help 4th/13 (though it feels a little too convenient at times).
Didn’t really like the books ending – was very confusing especially when reading the epilogues. 14th’s epilogue provides an alternate ending where Xiao Wei never went back to 13 after her first “death”. They reunite only after 4th has become emperor.